Sunday, September 7, 2014

What Brought Me to Honors Environmental Science

One thing that I should get out of the way right off the bat is that I am madly in love with nature.

Ever since I was a little boy with no knowledge of any scientific concept whatsoever, I loved going outside in nature and exploring. Simply taking a walk and observing my surroundings was good enough for me, and I always ended up asking myself questions about exactly why something was the way that it was.

I have already taken two science classes with John Freer; Chemistry and Biology. Both of these classes were challenging and frustrating at times, but truly satisfying when you got really involved in the subject matter, especially Biology. Stuff that I learned in that class sticks with me even today.
Most people take honors or AP classes simply because of the title, or the satisfaction of getting a good grade. I like those things as much as the next guy, but to me, that’s not all education is about. I measure a class based on how much educational value it brings me, and how much I give and receive in terms of knowledge.


All things considered, what I am looking forward to in this class is exploring the world around me in a clearer and more sophisticated way. I want to be able to leave this year knowing more about what makes the natural world the way that it is, and I feel confident enough in my understanding of scientific concepts to be able to take in new information about the world that fascinated me so much at such a young age.

No comments:

Post a Comment